A history of the Elk Grove Fine Arts Center, by Jolene Matson, April 2020
Elk Grove Fine Arts Center came into being when artists in our area envisioned having a local gallery in which to display their work, and where art classes and events could be held promoting artistic awareness in our community. EGFAC became a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Corporation on 11/29/07, and first opened the art center on 4/26/08 at 9701 Elk Grove-Florin Road.
In 2009, we moved to 9080 Elk Grove Boulevard in Old Town Elk Grove where we had 1100 square feet of space including the workshop and gallery space. Then, in December, 2018, we moved to our current location at 9683 Elk Grove-Florin Road in the Emerald Park Plaza Shopping center, where we have over 2400 square feet of space. Many Elk Grove artists have been involved as members of our center over the last twelve years, or as teachers of the art classes we offer. We currently have 22 artist/members of the arts center, and over 40 Friends of the Arts.
Our impact to the local arts community has continued to grow through public events such as the Annual Art Competition, Annual Art Tour, and Annual Small Treasures Show, and through our participating in the annual Big Day of Giving, grant-writing (City of Elk Grove Special Events Grants for the Art Competition and Art Tour), and the Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission (SMAC) Cultural Arts Award grant.
We continue to expand our art center’s events and programs to better serve our community and region, and have added 5 additional juried art shows to our schedule for 2020 and 2021. We are also increasing the available art workshops presented at the center.
As our community grows, we will continue to seek ways to support the artistic community of Elk Grove and our region.